Options for professional cover design:
offers several options to create glossy, full-cover covers
that are equal (often superior) in appearance to books from
conventional publishers. For a few examples, please click
- You may submit one or more photographs or camera-ready originals of artwork (preferably in color), which we will incorporate in the cover design. Artwork should be clean and flat,
so it can be scanned on a glass surface without leaving any ink or paint behind.
A single hard-copy photograph is often the best starting point for a book design. Our designer can scan it, crop it to the appropriate size, and use its color scheme to determine the colors for the text and other background features, etc.
- You may submit digital files in TIFF, JPG or BMP formats. Digital images will be produced at 300 dpi (if your image is 600 by 900 pixels, it will be 2 inches by 3 inches on the book cover). Digital camera images of one Gigapixel are usually about 3 inches by 3 inches in size when produced at 300 dpi.
- You may submit a rough sketch or a 100 word description, with general ideas about the desired appearance to guide our designer. In these cases, a suggestion like "A shadowy figure stands at the mouth of a cave" is fine, while "A bearded man holding a spear stands at the mouth of a cave" is probably too specific.
- You may pick photos or clip art images from ArtToday.com's library of more than 1,500,000 graphics, and note the art item number(s) you want to use. We will purchase the one(s) that
work best, at no cost to you:
Note: Photos are usually real-life images. Clipart is usually stylized images, cartoons, or wood-cuts. Both types of image can be used on the cover of a book, and we encourage you to try your search both ways.
- Visit www.ArtToday.com
- Locate the "Sample Search" form at the bottom of the page
- Select Clipart or Photos (not Fonts or Web Art)
- Enter a search word (for example, "Cave")
- Click "Go"
- Review available choices (note: often several pages)
- Click on the image you prefer
- Note the ITEM NUMBER
- Send us the search word and item number with your submission
In all cases above, your input is not only allowed, but encouraged. We welcome your ideas about the cover design. We will take care of the functional aspects, such as placement of barcode and width of the spine, for you. Please remember that our designer needs flexibility in order to accomplish technical details, so general ideas about the spirit of the design are easier to accomodate.
We cannot, for example, create an image of a character's face ("An African hunter with a white beard and a scar across his forehead") unless you provide a photo, drawing, or digital file that meets our printer's requirements. However, a more general description ("A jungle landscape in the background, with the book's title in dark red lettering in the foreground") is usually fine.
Whichever method you prefer, we will work with you to create a cover design that is professional in appearance, and appealing to readers worldwide.
For examples of interior pages, please click
HERE to open a new window where you can see several interior spreads from a typical UP
book that includes both text and images in the body of the
book. Simply close the new window to return here.
start-up costs are minimal;
little economic risk is required;
UP provides top quality technical work;
appearance of books is surprisingly attractive;
most titles can be in circulation within four months;
broad distribution and initial promotion are included!
HERE to request more information.
All text and images © 2000-2001
Unlimited Publishing, LLC
P.O. Box 3007
Bloomington, IN 47402